DNP has developed a patented and novel process for extracting nickel, cobalt and other metals and co-products from nickel laterite deposits utilising nitric acid.
The DNi Process™ is environmentally sympathetic and sustainable – setting it apart from any other hydrometallurgical or pyrometallurgical processes – because it:
- Produces around half the tailings footprint of an HPAL plant of the same capacity (principally due to the recycling of the nitric acid, addition of fewer neutralising agents, and the production of more saleable co-products);
- Produces inert, nitrogen-rich, leach residue (nitrates in processed residue break down to usable nitrogen for plant growth);
- Lowers production costs and efficiently reduces associated environmental issues;
- Delivers leach residue which is able to be dry stacked and returned to the mine;
- Produces magnesium oxide (MgO) without the creation of CO2 – the only process to do this.
By utilising the DNi Process™, DNP’s licensees will be positioned as one of the most environmentally sustainable and lowest cost producers in the global nickel industry. The DNi Process™ offers unparalleled cost efficiency, capital savings and environmental benefits.
The DNi Process™ can deliver either a mixed hydroxide or a mixed oxide product. Such products are able to then be refined to deliver nickel and cobalt sulphates for the EV battery market.
As the EV battery industry’s demand for nickel and cobalt increases while the stainless steel industry continues to grow, processing lateritic ore is the only viable option to deliver the nickel and cobalt required by these competing markets.
Furthermore, the Electric Vehicle industry cannot afford for the cost of nickel, in particular, to increase significantly if the mass adoption of electric vehicles is to be achieved.
The DNi Process™ provides a solution…